Yesterday I went to the store and as I was walking down the cereal aisle there was a very old couple there. I would say they were at least in their 80's. The old man talked to Cole for a little bit which Cole got kind of shy, but did give him a smile, which is a big thing for him.
When I first started walking down the aisle I noticed him looking at the fruit loops like he had never seen it before. I went and looked at the cereal and noticed his wife pick up the no name brand of fruit loops and she showed it to him. Oh, first before she started looking at the cereal she brought a bag of sun chips over and showed it to him. He said, " What are those?" She responded with, " I don't know." and they stuck them in the shopping cart. Now back to the cereal. They saw the price on the cereal was 95 cents and she asked her husband how many they should get. He responded with, "one." I had to laugh because as he was putting the cereal in the shopping cart she reached down and got another box. I wanted to follow them around the store just to watch them. I did meet up with them on another aisle and he started to talk to me about how he is a great grandfather and his grandson is in the Navy. It was interesting to listen to him and I am sure he had many stories to tell.
It is not very often we see people that old here on the base and I wonder if they were living off base somewhere because his wife did speak japanese. They must be living here because I asked if he has visited his grandson and he said it was too hard for him at the airport and flying. That brought up more questions in my head that I did not ask because you know how old people are and they will talk your ear off, so now my questions will be left a mystery.
October COMPASS Classes
12 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment